Thursday, April 16, 2015

Open Access in the Digital Humanities

A Brief Overview of My Final Essay

 First, what is open access? Just like when you ask an individual to define digital humanities (DH), each person has their own spin on what it means. The same can be said for open access, but on a much smaller scale. For purposes of this blog, I will use the definition offered by Peter Suber who is a respected advocate for open access: “Open-access (OA) literature is digital, online, free of charge, and free of most copyright and licensing restrictions.” In my essay, I will elaborate on the meaning of OA because before you can analyze why or why not something should exist, you must first understand what it means.

As we know, DH reflects the Humanities meeting the digital age which makes it easier for information to be readily available to the public. However, OA, as a practice, has been a topic of debate. There are those who speak loud and clear as to the benefits of OA, both for the author and the public. Then as with many things, there are those who raise concerns about the information being made accessible and the potential drawbacks especially to those who are concerned about the future of scholarly communication. In my essay, I will address both sides of the debate. Ultimately, you will see that my opinion is to open the floodgates and let the information flow through, and I will discuss why I am in agreement with those who are in favor of open access.

 Additionally, I will touch on what the future might look like for DH open access. Even though DH is not limited to one field, it is clear that it has a strong presence in academic institutions. Therefore, the academic institutions can play a large role in the future trend of open access. As Jason Heppler states "If the philosophical goal of the university is to serve as the sanctuary of knowledge, then the work we do should be publicly accessible. Not just open access for students, but open access for anyone seeking exposure to the world electronically."

 Finally, I will share some open access works from the DH field that I found of interest. Well, got to get back to working on my essay so I am signing off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment